Thursday, June 19, 2008

Greetings


I would be remised to skip a formal introduction before I discuss my first day as a public relations intern at Liggett Stashower. My name is Marc Feher and I will be a senior this fall at The Ohio State University. I am a double major in journalism and political science with a minor in philosophy. I have interned at various nonprofits and news stations. I also write features for Uweekly (uweekly.com), a Columbus independent newspaper, on a free-lance basis.

Coming to a mid-sized firm seemed daunting, initially. But it’s the equivalent of going to a large university, the bigger the firm, the more opportunities to learn and network. I applied for an internship at LS because I was impressed with its case studies and the intern program structure. How many interns go on field trips? Not many. Also, the mentoring program shows just how serious LS takes developing interns into future professionals. Working one-on-one with a public relations expert allows me to hone my skills while increasing my knowledge of the industry.

On my first day, I jumped into action by creating client clip binders, making press kits and researching biotechnology conferences. Grabbing coffee was not on the agenda. Getting use to time sheets and the firm’s sheer size are the most difficult tasks that lay ahead. With that said, I am looking forward to a productive and challenging summer.

Marc F.

No comments: