Friday, July 21, 2006

ROUND TWO: 2006 LS INTERN CLASS

My first week of interning here at Liggett Stashower has flown by. Once I finally figured out the bus schedule so I wasn’t arriving to work 45 minutes early (“better early than late!” my mother said that night), found the coffee maker (caffeine addictions are no joking matter), and learned my way around the office so I wasn’t getting lost on an hourly basis, I felt at ease and comfortable in my new environment. After shaking off my initial “first week at a new job” jitters, I found myself jumping headfirst into the projects assigned to me by my mentor. Instead of fetching coffee and making copies like I envisioned myself doing, I was given real projects to work on right off the bat. Well okay, maybe I did make a few copies here and there, but far less than I anticipated…

Thus far, I have enjoyed my assignments, admittedly some more than others, and am slowly starting to understand some of LS’s clients and the role LS plays in their business operations. In the account services department, I feel like I’m beginning to find my niche with project assignments. I’m asking fewer questions on how to perform tasks and spending more time actually doing things. Everything moves very quickly around here, and I’m finally starting to feel like I’m keeping up with the pace!

~ Jessica H.

No comments: