Monday, July 30, 2007

It's a Small World After All

I’ve mentioned in an earlier post that the business world is all about connections, especially in this industry. And despite how large the industry is, when you submerge yourself in it, it seems to get smaller and smaller every day. Everyone knows everyone. Last week, this idea reinforced itself to me yet again.

A few weeks ago, I was assigned to pitch this intern blog to a PR Week writer who has been covering stories about communication technology trends. After flipping through recent PR Week publications to research the hot new topics, I decided to look at Advertising Age as well. I asked a coworker for the July 16 issue. To my surprise, a girl I know and have worked with at the Daily Kent Stater at Kent State was on the front page in an article titled “Where have all the Girls Gone?”

The article was a discussion about how more young girls are shifting to online magazine Web sites instead of subscribing to the print versions. In fact, the article states that the percentage of girls who read magazines has fallen from 85.6 percent to 79.9 percent in the past five years.

Personally, I still enjoy reading magazines in print form. With all the things I do on a computer, I like to have a physical publication I can flip through. My favorite magazines, similar to most women my age, include Glamour, People and now, after reading quite a few interesting articles during my internship, PR Week and Advertising Age.

What do you think?



Olivia M.
Program Management Intern

No comments: