Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Lesson of the Week: Get Involved

It’s easy to get involved in college with so many clubs and volunteering opportunities to choose from. For instance, check out all the organizations Ohio University offers to the students. On top of the organizations there are so many volunteer opportunities as well. Joining organizations and volunteering is not only fun, but it’s a great way to be more successful in life.

This week at Liggett we had Rick Squire, executive director of the American Advertising Federation – Cleveland, tell us of the importance of getting involved after college. To tell you the truth I never considered joining organizations once I got a job after college. I figured well hey if I get the job, all I need to do is work hard in the office and I will be able to move up the corporate ladder. Man, I was wrong. Getting involved is where it’s at.

There are many organizations for professionals out there. You can find an organization for any career, just google it. For instance, here in Cleveland there is the AAF – Cleveland, PRSA, AMA, SME and many others.

Now let me guess, some of you people reading this might be thinking, “I don’t know if I want to join a professional organization right after college.” That’s cool, you can join a bowling league, a golf league, a chess club, a nature walk club, a boxing club, a fitness center, an ice cream club or {insert here} club/league/association. Volunteering your time is another great way to get involved in your community. It’s hard to put in words the satisfaction you get when you become a volunteer.

On top of all the fun you will be having, you also create a great networking opportunity. Anyone in the business world today will tell you the importance of networking. You need to know people, who know people, who are married to people, who know Bob. So lets all go out there and get involved, if you don’t I guarantee somebody else will.


Adam F.
Program Management Intern

No comments: