Tuesday, July 05, 2011

Go play

I’ve been finding it difficult to think creatively when the pressure is on. And in an advertising agency, it seems the pressure’s always on. I have had no trouble with the straightforward projects where I am expected to do exactly what is on the creative brief, but I have been having some difficulty with the more open-ended projects where I have a certain amount of time to come up with an awesome idea and/or design. Creativity is the business. Having a process to follow that helps through creative slumps is necessary. It's not like in school, where you have a few days or a week to brainstorm and refine an idea.

Last week at our lunch with David Moore, we asked his advice about what to do when you feel you are lacking ideas and can’t seem to find creative inspiration. His response was “Go away and go play”. Sometimes you need to completely take a break from the project, go do something else and come back to it later. This is one reason it is important to have interests and hobbies outside of your job. After a long weekend of cookouts, fireworks, concerts and discount-store shopping, I think I am ready to get creative and tackle these projects.

Alyse E.
Creative Intern

No comments: