Friday, July 01, 2011

Timing's Everything


The week leading up to a holiday weekend usually drags along, but can you believe it's already Friday? It's quiet here today, which makes it easy for me to focus on some of the projects I've got to finish up before a 3-day weekend full of fireworks and patriotism.

My lesson for this week was all about timing. Whether it's catching a bus or finding a job, timing's everything. This lesson became clear to me when the other interns and myself sat down to lunch with Liggett's Managing Partner & President, David Moore. David has been wit
h LS for almost 10 years, which is almost unheard of in this industry. At first I was a little nervous to meet with David, worried that we would be wasting his time. But I was quickly relaxed when I realized how willing he was to sit with us and just talk about his experiences. He took a break from his chaotic schedule to provide us with some valuable advice.

When I asked him if this was where he expected to be upon starting his career, David chuckled and said that it wasn't. He explained that he pretty much fell into his position here at LS. The timing was perfect in all aspects of his life; his family needed a transition and his previous employer was going through changes. He took a risk in packing up and moving to Cleveland on September 10, 2001 and that risk paid off.

He also spoke about the important relationships he had formed throughout his career and the importance of maintaining those connections. David rattled off the names of people he had been in touch with and where they were working today...a couple of them in roles at some of the biggest agencies in the industry.

Both of the subjects that David touched on during our lunch really impacted me...I know that they will play huge roles when it comes to finding MY first job. I know that my hard work will pay off, but I can only hope that I'll have time on my side when I start looking for work.

'Til next time,

Alyssa P.
-Brand Management Intern


No comments: