Thursday, June 23, 2011

All Access: Behind the Scenes


Last week was a whirlwind of work...I can't believe I'm nearing the end of my third week here at LS. I can already feel myself gaining knowledge and experience and that feeling is worth all of the early mornings and cups of coffee.

Media relations was the name of the game last week. I had never really given any thought to the hard work that goes into keeping up with the media but when I joined Kendra at an event over the weekend, I realized what exactly goes into media relations. The months of preparation come down to a few short hours of TV footage, radio interviews and newspaper articles. We hurried around the event making sure that all media representatives had the shots they wanted and worked with producers to create footage that captured the essence of the event. Again, I realized the importance of strong communication skills and a good relationship with all of those involved with media coverage. Kendra was quick to make sure everyone was happy--and at the end of the day, she was extremely successful in doing so. Just being able to observe and help her out taught me so much about media relations and how important it is to the client and a successful event.

Now that I've had a little taste of the media relations world, I'm hungry for more. It's a field I'm more interested in exploring and being a part of in the future. Even though most of the work is done behind the scenes, it feels good knowing that it all led to a happy client and a successful media event.

No comments: