Thursday, June 23, 2011

This post sounds a lot like a motivational speech, but I guess it sort of is


This week, I’ve been assessing my time at LS so far, and establishing some goals for the rest of the internship (and, I guess, for life in general).

Be proactive and make sure I maximize this experience. I don’t want to get to the end of the summer and realize that I missed out on learning new skills because I didn’t challenge myself. I want to jump at every opportunity to learn something new, because that’s what this internship is all about.

Focus on my strengths. There is no need to compare myself to others. I want to do my best at whatever I do, but I don’t need to be an expert at everything. There is no need to try to emulate someone else’s skills better than them, when I have my own skill set to contribute to the agency.

Remember to keep asking questions. Just because I know where the bathroom is, what the good restaurants are, and what the job number is for my current project doesn’t mean I know everything and can stop asking questions. I want to learn more about people’s experiences in the advertising and design world, their specialties, and how they plan to accomplish their career goals.

Keep meeting new people. When I first enter unfamiliar territory–a new class, a new neighborhood, or a new city–I am more outgoing than is natural for me. I have conversations with random people on the bus, at church, in the park, pretty much anywhere there are people, I try to meet them. I encounter a lot of interesting people that way. When I start getting comfortable, this behavior slows, and I feel awkward talking to anyone I don’t already know. I want to keep meeting people, because you never know what you could learn from the person in front of you in line, or next to you on the train. Just last week I was at the park with my camera and saw two musicians playing guitar. I asked if I could take some pictures of them, we started talking, and they asked if I would photograph their concert later that week. I was excited to have a chance to support a local band. I want to always keep a genuine interest in people. "Don't think only about your own affairs, but be interested in others, too, and what they are doing."

Alyse E.

Creative Intern

No comments: