Thursday, June 09, 2011

Thankfully, my dream did not come true

The past week has been a flurry of moving, unpacking, meeting new people, and starting an internship unlike any job I've had before. Since moving to the Cleveland area last Saturday, I have successfully located the nearest Chick-fil-a, learned how to use public transportation, gotten to know the family I'm living with, and shifted my sleep schedule to that of a responsible adult (I’m now going to bed at 10:30pm instead of 4:30am).

I am happy to report that my first week as an intern at Liggett Stashower has been nothing like the nerve-induced nightmare I experienced the night before my first day. Rather than mean bosses, unfriendly coworkers and menial tasks, Liggett has welcomed this summer’s interns with smiling faces, encouraging mentors, and real work. When we were shown to our workspaces, I was pleasantly surprised that we were not thrown into a closet with a laptop, as I have seen some companies do. Instead, we each got our very own cubicle. Cubicle has too negative a connotation. It’s more like a workspace that, while maintaining a sense of privacy, encourages collaboration and communal playlists.

I look forward to the variety of experiences I will have here at LS. Already, I have made line illustrations, painted little doorknobs, created cut paper illustrations, worked on a logo, helped pack invitation boxes, and researched paper airplanes. In addition to the variety of work I will be doing here in the building, I am also looking forward to the numerous excursions to printers, TV stations, and other agencies as well.

After just one week, I can see that the Liggett Stashower internships really are the best around.


Alyse E.

Creative Intern

No comments: