Thursday, June 09, 2011

"Oh, the places you'll go..."


I grew up in a small town, where everyone knew everything about everybody…obviously an environment that is much different than that of Cleveland, OH. Every face I see on the street is one of a stranger so needless to say I was just a little bit nervous when it came to spending my first day in the city as an intern for Liggett Stashower.

Taking the first step into the real world is never easy, but when you’re walking into an organization with strong values, creativity and interesting clients it helps to make things less nerve-wracking. Sure, the first couple of days as a new intern might be awkward or intimidating, but as soon as we were inside the doors of the Hanna Building I think we all began to feel at ease. We were told to make ourselves at home at Liggett and it was reassuring to know that we would actually make a contribution to the great things that happen in this office on a daily basis.

But I’ll be honest: when I realized I was the only intern in brand management, I was worried that things would get a little lonely. I was quickly comforted by the others working with me on the account side of Liggett; I would never be bored OR alone. Since then, everyone has kept me busy with all sorts of different projects. One minute I could be running a package to E. 9th Street and the next I could be auditing the media relations of a client. Knowing that I would play a role here put my mind at ease and by the end of Day 1 I was ready to take on that role and go above and beyond expectations.

It’s hard to believe that I’ve already got three full days of work under my belt but I’m ready for whatever comes my way over the course of these next 10 weeks. Whether it’s creating press kits, building media lists or prepping for client meetings, I can have confidence that the work I do at Liggett is work that will help transform this small-town girl into a savvy public relations professional.

No comments: