Thursday, July 10, 2008

Never a Dull Day


It may sound cliché when a company tells you that everyday is different at their office, but it rings true at Liggett. I never know what’s in store for me when I come into work, and when I leave I always try to predict what’s going to happen the following day. Of course, I’m always wrong.
The most exciting part of this job is anything could change at any moment. Many jobs will tell you something to do at 8:30 am, and you might have to do the same task all day. This can get pretty boring unless you’re passionate about that kind of work (which I’m not). When I come in, I might begin with no meetings all day, but by lunch I’ll have already attended 2 meetings, and two more scheduled for the afternoon. That’s what is great about this environment; everything is always changing. A client might want something done one way, but then change his/her mind 3 hours later. Being able to keep up with these changes is part of the challenge. Just yesterday a website went live and had some obvious problems which needed to be fixed right away. Working with others to keep up with these curveballs is part of the fun here.
I also love the comfortable environment here. While everyone works really hard and is dedicated to their work, people know how to keep the atmosphere fun and relaxed. Yesterday we all took a short break for an employees birthday and had some cake. We chatted for a few minutes and had some laughs, and then it was right back to work. Some people have a tough time transitioning quickly from work to fun, but everyone here seems to mix the two together to make the experience and the work being done that much more enjoyable.

It’s hard to believe we’re halfway to the end, but there still is much to be done and much to be learned.
Scott A.
Program Management Intern

No comments: